|“ You cannot defeat me! I've lived too many lives, Ravaged entire kingdoms..I have been given powers that you could not even fathom! I will never stop, Never! I will give this wretched world the queen it deserves.”|
|— Ravenna to Snow White|
Ravenna, also known as the Evil Queen, is a selfish and tyrannical ruler of the kingdom and a powerful witch, who learns that her stepdaughter, Snow White, is destined to surpass her as the "Fairest Of Them All", once snow white comes of age Ravenna's power begins to fade. However, upon learning that the only way to retain her power is by consuming Snow White's heart, Ravenna recruits a Huntsman to capture and kill the young princess.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Ravenna is a powerful witch, though it was mentioned by Finn (and later proven) that excessive usage of her powers would cause her to age. The notable abilities she displayed were:
- Immortality/Youth Absorption: Through a spell that her witch mother had cast on her when she was young, Ravenna could retain her youth and extend her life indefinitely by draining the youth of other young women. However, as revealed by her Magic Mirror, this did not equate to true immortality, which she could only achieve by consuming the heart of "The Fairest Of Them All". It is only by doing so that her powers will never weaken, and she will never age or need to consume youth.
- Life Force Manipulation/Life And Death Manipulation - Ravenna can also manipulate the life force of others to bestow youth, heal injuries, and remove or sustain life. As seen with Ravenna's brother Finn who she heals when injured and extends his youth along with hers or when Ravenna caused a young man to experience a fatal heart attack simply by touching his chest. However it is beyond Ravenna to restore life to the dead.
- Dark Fay Conjuration - Ravenna can summon and control creatures formed of obsidian stone referred by the film creators as "Dark Fay". These creatures cannot be killed or destroyed because they are formed of stone and can only be stopped if Ravenna is subdued or killed.
- Shapeshifting - Ravenna can alter her form to become other human beings or a flock of ravens.
- Regeneration- Ravenna cannot be killed by conventional weapons and heals from injuries such as a dagger to the ribs or standing in an open flame within seconds with no harm at all. The only way Ravenna can be killed is if she does not consume youth and loses her ability to regenerate or if "The Fairest Of Them All" delivers a fatal wound to her.
- Enhanced Strength- Ravenna posseses a level of enhanced strength as seen in the end of the film when she battles Snow White and knocks her several feet away with one blow.
- Consorting With The Magic Mirror - Ravenna is the only person who can see and speak with the "entity" within the mirror. The mirror seems to posses a sort of clairvoyance that allows Ravenna to know who is the fairest of them all by simply asking "mirror mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all".
Ravenna's name comes from the name Raven, meaning "death" or "doom" and crow.
Even though she says she has lived 20 lives she retains a naive and childish personality meaning her magic of immortality completely stunts her mind and body.(since many people died at the average age of 40 and she said she lived 20 lives, we can presume she is 800' or close to a millenium. It just depends on what she considers a whole life)
We can presume she only learned to use the power of stealing young women's lives later on in her late 20's and that is why she has only ever stayed at that age.
Like most evil step mothers she has powerful magic akin to many Grimm brother fairytales.
When in the woods as William she says to Snow White that "she was the only one who could stop her, the only one who could save her" so possibly there is a glint of humanity still in her (meaning that she knows of her misdeeds and she knows she will continue to destroy kingdoms as long as shes alive) this is also seen when she mourns her mother and brother.
Differences between the disney evil queen and Ravenna is that:
• The evil queen only fears not being the fairest "looking" in all the land, whilst Ravenna only fears "death"
• Ravenna has a wider family and richer history spanning years, whilst the evil queen is alone.
• Ravenna's powers surpass the evil queens, Ravenna can shapeshift into both people and animals, she can keep other people immortal such as her brother, steal life, conjure army of quartz and monsters of quartz, can't die by non fair hearts "royal blood", withstand elements like fire.
Despite her powers and that she's more powerful than everyone else a monster could easily stop her such as a dragon.